About the Course
Our club was originally chartered in the year 1912 as Glen Garden Golf and Country Club, with land acquired from Mr. H.H. Cobb of the O.K. Cattle Company. Cobb was denied entry into River Crest Country Club and decided that he would take his land and build his own course. A nine hole golf course with sand greens was constructed, and opened before River Crest could finish their 18 hole course. Another nine holes added some year or two later.
In the very early days of our club, members came by horse and buggy, or in the evenings by use of the Cleburne interurban, alighting at Wichita Street and walking about six blocks to the club where a board walk was built on the east side of the club to span a creek.
As 1 of the 2 country clubs in Fort Worth, the facility was frequently used for family outings. Golf was very popular which gave rise to the need for a caddy. In the early 1920's a caddy could earn $1.00 for a round of golf. This attracted Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson who learned to play the game on sand greens. At age 15 Hogan and Nelson played their first head to head tournament. The annual caddy championship was won by Nelson over Hogan on the final hole of a nine hole playoff. Nelson who was famous for his chip shot stymied Hogan preventing him from making his par putt.
Sandra Palmer of LPGA fame lived by the number four tee box and the club allowed "little" Sandra to skinny under the fence and hone her game in the evenings.
During the 1940's Glen Garden was host of the Texas Invitational and the Texas State Open Tournaments. It is also where Byron Nelson won the last of 18 tournaments during his record year in 1945.
Byron Nelson was quoted many times for stating the Glen Garden's back nine was the most unique golf layout in the world. It features two back to back par fives followed by two par threes and finishing with two par threes.
The Club has been very responsible in not making changes to the course. We invite you to play the same golf holes where world famous golfers learned to play. You will find Glen Garden to be a fun golf course.
Glen Garden retains the original layout designed by John Bredemus, the architect who later designed the course at Colonial Country Club. Thanks to anonymous donations in 2001, we were able to make some updates and renovations to help bring in newer and younger players to our course.
The $1.5 million renovations were completed and the grand re-opening happened on September 15, 2001 with Byron Nelson on hand for the ribbon cutting. The clubhouse, pool, pro shop, cart storage area and more were given cosmetic changes to update the look and feel of the Club without sacrificing its history and no changes were made to the course so that it still plays the same as when Byron Nelson, Sandra Palmer and Ben Hogan played here.